*The Master of Arts in Teaching - TESOL online program from the USC Rossier School of Education prepares you to teach students of all ages in the U.S. and internationally, gives you the option to pursue a teaching credential, and can be completed in 12 months.
*Prepare for your ESL teaching career at your own speed with the self-paced Online MS in English Language Learning and Teaching through Capella University.
According to data presented by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2012, Pennsylvania’s literacy employment numbers put it among the top 15 states in the country. Part of this statistic can be attributed to the fact that the state is densely populated and contains ethnically and linguistically diverse cities such as Reading, Allentown, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia. These factors give the state a relative large range of options for pursuing a career in TESOL.
Pennsylvania’s ESL Teaching Outlook
According to the PDE’s English as a Second Language webpage, as of 2013 the state has over 42,540 students who have Limited English Proficiency (LEP). These students speak 175 different languages. PDE serves these students through ESL as well as bilingual education programs.
The College of Education at Temple University indicates that Pennsylvania’s immigrant population has increased dramatically which will lead to ESL and bilingual teaching being a high-need area, particularly in regions where immigrants have historically settled.
Pennsylvania Teacher Job Boards
- PA-Educator allows candidates to search statewide education job openings by country, certificate type, and keyword. It also maintains a News page listing education job fairs
- The School District of Philadelphia maintains a Teacher Job Listings webpage.
- Pennsylvania’s largest school districts also tend to be the most diverse, leading to increased job opportunities for ESL educators. According to the Alliance for Excellent Education, the largest school districts, in descending order, are Philadelphia City, Pittsburgh, Central Bucks, Allentown City, Reading, and Bethlehem Area.
- The Pennsylvania Coalition of Public Charter Schools maintains a list of member schools sorted by region.
TESOL Teacher Resources in Pennsylvania
- Penn TESOL-East is the state branch of the international TESOL association, an organization of professionals advocating on behalf of ELLs and sharing resources, teaching techniques, and research in the field.
- ASPRIRA of Pennsylvania serves Puerto Rican and Latino students and their families through schools, afterschool programs, and leadership opportunities.
- Over 200 members make up the ELL Task Force. Overseen by Philadelphia’s Education Law Center, the organization of educators, advocates, social service providers, parents, and other stakeholders organize on behalf of Pennsylvania’s ELLs.