- Capella University - Online MS in English Language Learning and Teaching
- Liberty University - Online Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language
- George Mason University - MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in TESOL
- Purdue University - Online MS in Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Greenville University - Master of Arts in Education - Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL)
Nebraska institutions do not offer many options for graduate TESOL studies. However, the related areas of ESL and bilingual certificate endorsement and curriculum and instruction are offered by Nebraska universities, as well a high-ranked, affordable graduate program that is offered completely online.
ESL Teacher Certification
Teachers who already hold valid certificates in other curricular areas can add an English as a Second Language endorsement to their current certificate. To do so, they must take state-approved coursework such as that provided in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s ELL Certification Pathway program:
- Second Language Acquisition
- ESL Curriculum and Instruction
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- Linguistics for ESL Teachers
- Teaching ESL in Content Areas
- TESOL Practicum
Alternative Certification Options
The NDE has a Transition to Teaching Program that recruits recent graduates of bachelor’s and Master of Arts programs, as well as career-changers with relevant academic credentials and subject area specializations, to work in Nebraska’s teacher shortage areas. Participants receive pre-service training, as well as on-the-job mentoring while completing the coursework and exams necessary to qualify for state licensure.
Master’s in ESL Programs
University of Nebraska Kearney is a noteworthy choice for online education, not just in Nebraska but for the U.S., making the 2013 top 10 rankings of graduate education programs in U.S. News & World Report. It is also well-regarded for its affordability, as evidenced by its place on Washington Monthly’s 2013 Best Bang for the Buck list. It offers a Master of Arts in Education, Curriculum and Instruction: English as a Second Language. University of Nebraska Omaha offers an Elementary Education, M.S., ESL or Bilingual Concentration. This program is for educators who already have a teaching certificate.