- Capella University - Online MS in English Language Learning and Teaching
- Liberty University - Online Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language
- George Mason University - MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in TESOL
- Purdue University - Online MS in Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Greenville University - Master of Arts in Education - Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL)
Whether you seek a bilingual credential or a graduate degree in Applied Linguistics, Arizona’s Master of Arts in TESOL options include a program track for you. Universities in Arizona offer on-campus and online delivery formats, as well as hybrid programs that require only a few class meetings.
ESL Teacher Certification
The Arizona Department of Education (ADE) maintains a Web page summarizing Educator Certification. It indicates that TESOL teachers with valid Arizona credentials can qualify for endorsement in:
- Structured English Immersion (SEI) K-12
- Bilingual Education K-12
- English as a Second Language (ESL) K-12
The ADE website lists the ESL endorsement requirements. A provisional ESL endorsement means the candidate has taken a class in ESL methods and in one additional area of ESL. A full ESL endorsement entails foundations in ESL or in English language structure (nature of language, grammar), ESL methods, linguistics, reading and writing with ELLs, ESL student evaluation, and multicultural or cross-cultural education.
ADE’s Alternative Pathways to Teacher Certification Web page describes its Teaching Intern program. According to the Arizona Transition to Teaching guide, alternative certification candidates must meet one of the following criteria:
- passing Arizona’s required exams for teachers
- having a master’s degree in the target subject area
- earning 24 semester hour credits in the target subject area
Interns must also take Structured English Immersion training coursework to earn a provisional or complete SEI endorsement. The Arizona Department of Education maintains a list of the approved Arizona programs that offer Alternative Pathways to Teacher Certification.
Master’s in TESOL Programs
Arizona State University is the only Arizona institution offering graduate studies in TESOL with a spot on the 2013 National Council of Teacher Quality’s Honor Roll. They offer a Master’s Degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. Grand Canyon University offers a Master of Education in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. Northern Arizona University, in addition to offering TESL certification programs for already-licensed teachers, offers three different areas of TESOL specialization at the graduate level: the Master of Arts in TESL, Applied Linguistics, the Master of Arts in TESL, Language Teaching, and the Master of Arts in TESL, Practicing Teachers.