- Capella University - Online MS in English Language Learning and Teaching
- Liberty University - Online Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language
- George Mason University - MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in TESOL
- Purdue University - Online MS in Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Greenville University - Master of Arts in Education - Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL)
While Nevada has many options for certified teachers seeking graduate certificates for ESL, bilingual, and literacy specialist endorsements, the state comes up short in its offerings for master’s degrees in TESOL. Even the related field of applied linguistics does not show up in graduate programs, except in the more general Language Concentration degree offered at University of Nevada, Reno. However, for students interested in pursuing Nevada-based graduate education online, there are two completely online options.
ESL Teacher Certification
The Nevada Department of Education (NDE) administers the Office of Teacher Licensure Web page, outlining policies and procedures regarding earning educator licenses and endorsements. It categorizes the TESL under Special, and states that earning it requires holding a valid credential and completing 12 semester units in:
- TESL Methods and Materials
- Second Language Acquisition
- ESL Assessment
- ESL Curriculum Development
The Bilingual endorsement (also categorized as Special) requires the completion of a bilingual teacher preparation program or 12 semester units among the following subjects:
- Teaching Language Arts/Reading in Native Language
- Teaching Math, Science, Social Studies in Native Language
- ESL and Native Language Testing
- Bilingual Education Curriculum, Materials, and Methods
- Native Language and Culture
- Foundations of Bilingual Education
Alternative Certification Options
Nevada State College offers the Clark County School District Alternative Routes to Licensure Program. Participants with bachelor’s degrees can meet NDE requirements for certification and transition to full-time work in the school district.
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas also offers Alternative Route to Licensure Programs for students with bachelor’s degrees.
Master’s in TESOL Programs
Touro University Nevada offers a Master of Education in Literacy and Language. This course of study is geared to literacy specialists, but it also awards the TESL endorsement for teachers who are already certified. The University of Nevada offers unique programs for urban and multicultural educators. The
Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Curriculum and Instruction, Emphasis Concentration in Multicultural Education (PK-12, Higher Education, or Community-Based Education Focus) course of study includes at least 9 semester hours of TESL coursework. The Master of Education (M.S.) in Curriculum and Instruction, Emphasis Concentration in Multicultural Education (PK-12, Higher Education, or Community-Based Education Focus) also incorporates TESL core and elective classes.