- Capella University - Online MS in English Language Learning and Teaching
- Liberty University - Online Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language
- George Mason University - MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in TESOL
- Purdue University - Online MS in Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Greenville University - Master of Arts in Education - Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL)
New Hampshire is one of the few states that offers hybrid on-campus/online programs awarding graduate degrees in education concurrently with teacher certification and ESOL endorsements. In addition, students can pursue advanced degrees in applied linguistics, language teaching, or teaching English as a foreign language. For a state with a relatively small immigrant population, New Hampshire has a surprising diversity of options for TESOL educators.
ESL Teacher Certification
The Bureau of Credentialing at the New Hampshire Department of Education (NHDE) awards an ESL endorsement to educators holding valid certificates who complete department-approved courses of study in TESOL.
Alternative Certification Options
NHDE’s Alternatives for Certification Web page summarizes routes to New Hampshire certification:
- Alternative 1: Traditional certification.
- Alternative 2: Certification for out-of-state teachers or graduates of preparation programs.
- Alternative 3: A candidate shows professional competency, passes state-mandated exams, and has an oral review of credentials.
- Alternative 4: Limited certification is awarded in a teacher shortage area.
- Alternative 5: A candidate with an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject area receives on-the-job training while working as a paid classroom teacher.
Master’s in TESOL Programs
As of 2013, Plymouth State University has started two new graduate courses of study related to TESOL education: the Master of Education in Language Education, TESOL Education K-12 Certification, and the Master of Education in Language Education TESOL Education. Southern New Hampshire University offers a Master of Education in English for Speakers of Other Languages and an M.S. in Teaching English as a Foreign Language. This program has an accelerated master’s degree option and is for students who seek overseas education careers. University of New Hampshire offers a Master of Arts in Language and Linguistics. Knowledge of a foreign language is required. Students can opt for a focus area in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, Sociolinguistics, and other areas of Linguistics.