- Capella University - Online MS in English Language Learning and Teaching
- Liberty University - Online Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language
- George Mason University - MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in TESOL
- Purdue University - Online MS in Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Greenville University - Master of Arts in Education - Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL)
TESOL graduate programs are rare in Montana, but related subject areas have programs, such as linguistics, Native American studies, adult education, literacy, and Peace Corps Master’s International training are offered. Because Montana is a large state with many rural areas, distance education has become a prime option. Graduate students have fewer choices for master’s degree programs, but people seeking graduate certificates, ESL endorsement, teacher preparation coursework, professional development, and advanced classes in Native American studies can do so via online, low-residency, or hybrid course formats.
ESL Teacher Certification
The Montana Office of Public Instruction (OPI) maintains a guide to Educator Licensure and Adding Endorsements. The Montana Secretary of State’s Web page dedicated to Class 1 and 2 Endorsements specifies that teachers already holding Class 1 and 2 licenses can add an English as a Second Language K-12 endorsement to them. To do so requires one of the following:
- Completing 20 semester college credit hours in the subject area
- Showing equivalency of 20 semester college credit hours (such as through a major or minor)
- Holding a graduate degree or higher in TESOL or a related endorsable field
Alternative Certification Options
Northern Plains Transition to Teaching is organized through Montana State University-Bozeman, but has an online course delivery format. Eight modules are offered in sequence to accommodate the schedules of working professionals who seek state licensure.
The Lewis & Clark Region of Troops to Teachers represents eligible military personnel in Montana who want to work in high-need areas of the Montana public school system.
Master’s in TESOL Programs
University of Montana offers a Master of Arts in Intercultural Youth and Family Development. This course of study is a partner of the Peace Corps Master’s International program, providing graduate instruction in human development and preparing students for cross-cultural work. It also offers a Master of Arts in Linguistics. Students take classes covering indigenous and endangered languages.