- Capella University - Online MS in English Language Learning and Teaching
- Liberty University - Online Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language
- George Mason University - MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in TESOL
- Purdue University - Online MS in Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Greenville University - Master of Arts in Education - Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL)
Graduate TESOL programs in Maine are not plentiful, but there are ancillary degree areas that contain comparable coursework, including teacher certification that incorporates TESOL training, add-on ESL endorsement options, and graduate degrees in literacy that allow for an ESL specialization. Formats of delivery include online, hybrid, and on-campus.
ESL Teacher Certification
The Maine Department of Education (DOE) maintains a page dedicated to Information on Instruction for English Language Learners. It summarizes the department’s approach to certification and endorsements:
- Endorsement Eligibility Pathway 1: Graduate from a Maine teacher preparation program in the area of ESL and pass state assessments.
- Endorsement Eligibility Pathway 2: Hold a provisional or professional Maine teaching license, pursue 15 semester hours in an approved ESL endorsement program, and pass state assessments.
- Endorsement Eligibility Pathway 3: Earn a bachelor’s degree; complete 24 semester hours of TESOL classes; pass state assessments; and fulfill required student teaching hours in TESOL or complete one full academic year of a paid TESOL assignment.
Alternative Certification Options
Maine DOE does not offer many options for nontraditional licensure. However, one possible point of entry is via transcript analysis. According to the University of Southern Maine Extended Teacher Education Program FAQ, a candidate with courses that align with grade levels and subject areas can qualify for initial licensure.
Maine Master’s Degree in TESOL Programs
University of Maine at Presque Isle offers a M.S. Ed.- Professional Educator. This is a unique, interdisciplinary program for certified teachers. Participants select a concentration area of 15 semester units which can include Culturally Responsive Practices, Early Language Literacy, English as a Second Language, or Literacy, among other subject areas. University of Southern Maine offers a Master of Science in Education in Applied Literacy with a Concentration in English as a Second Language, and a Master of Science in Education in Literacy Education (with or without ESL Concentration).