- Capella University - Online MS in English Language Learning and Teaching
- Liberty University - Online Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language
- George Mason University - MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in TESOL
- Purdue University - Online MS in Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Greenville University - Master of Arts in Education - Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL)
Options for TESOL study abound in the small state of Rhode Island, including accelerated master’s degree programs, graduate degrees that incorporate certification, ESL endorsement options, and a unique master’s program that awards bilingual add-on certification. Course formats include part-time, full-time, dual degree, and hybrid on-campus and distance-learning offerings.
ESL Teacher Certification
The Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE) maintains a Web page dedicated to Educator Certification, covering its policies for ESL and Bilingual add-on licensure. The Department issues an ESL certificate as an add-on endorsement to a valid state license in another curricular area. Teachers must complete an approved course of study.
RIDE issues teacher certificates according to the following grade levels:
- Early Childhood
- Middle Grades
- Secondary Grades
- All Grades
- Special Education
Within these designations are TESOL specialty certificates such as:
- Elementary English as a Second Language Education Certificate (Grades 1-6)
- Elementary Bilingual and Dual Language Education Certificate (Grades 1-6)
- Middle Grades Bilingual and Dual Language Teacher (Grades 5-8)
- Middle Grades English as a Second Language Teacher (Grades 5-8)
- Secondary Grades Bilingual and Dual Language Teacher (Grades 7-12)
- Secondary Grades English as a Second Language Teacher (Grades 7-12)
- All Grades Bilingual and Dual Language Teacher (Grades PK-12)
- All Grades English as a Second Language Specialist (Grades PK-12)
- All Grades English as a Second Language Teacher (Grades PK-12)
Alternative Certification Options
Teach for America places college graduates in urban schools while providing intensive training and ongoing support.
For more information about state policies, consult RIDE’s online document summarizing Board of Regents Standards for Alternative Route to Certification Programs.
Master’s in ESL Programs
Brown University offers a Portuguese-Bilingual or ESL Education and Cross-Cultural Studies program. This unique interdisciplinary program is for teachers already holding certificates in another licensure area. Rhode Island College‘s M.Ed. in TESL is the only graduate education program to make it to the Honor Roll of the National Council for Teacher Quality.