- Capella University - Online MS in English Language Learning and Teaching
- Liberty University - Online Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language
- George Mason University - MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in TESOL
- Purdue University - Online MS in Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Greenville University - Master of Arts in Education - Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL)
Kentucky not only hosts programs that run the gamut of program delivery options — hybrid, online, ESL or EFL endorsement, international practicum, credit for working in campus-based Intensive English Programs – but it also has multiple programs that have earned spots on the National Council for Teacher Quality (NCTQ) 2013 Honor Roll and U.S. News & World Report’s 2013 list of the best online education programs in the nation.
ESL Teacher Certification
Kentucky teachers who already hold valid licenses to work in the state’s public K-12 schools can pursue an ESL endorsement program as an add-on to their certificates. In addition, students must take six semester units of a foreign language or demonstrate comparable proficiency.
Alternative Certification Options
The guide to Alternative Routes to Teacher Certification, published by KDE, summarizes alternative licensure options for would-be educators, among them:
- Option 1: Exceptional Work Experience
- Option 2: Local District Training Program
- Option 3: College Faculty
- Option 4: Adjunct Instructor
- Option 5: Veterans of the Armed forces (Troops to Teachers)
- Option 6: University-Based Alternative Route
- Option 7: Institute Alternative Route
- Option 8: Teach for America (TFA) Alternative Route
Options 1, 2, 4, 7, and 8 require the candidate to procure a district job offer, first.
Master’s in TESOL Programs
Campbellsville University‘s online offerings were ranked by U.S. News & World Report in its top 20 graduate education programs in 2013. It offers a Master of Arts in TESOL. Murray State University offers a Master of Arts in TESOL (in a traditional format, online, or as an endorsement). University of Kentucky‘s Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language program has earned a spot on NCTQ’s 2013 list of institutions with multiple strong programs.