- Capella University - Online MS in English Language Learning and Teaching
- Liberty University - Online Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language
- George Mason University - MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in TESOL
- Purdue University - Online MS in Education in Curriculum and Instruction
- Greenville University - Master of Arts in Education - Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL)
Flexibility is the key word for Oregon’s graduate education programs. While none of the universities make the top rankings lists for TESOL master’s degrees, they do allow students to pursue accelerated on-campus master’s programs, fully online courses of study (with or without state licensure and an ESOL or bilingual endorsement), and hybrid programs, many of which come at a more affordable price tag that those of Oregon’s neighbor to the south (California) or north (Washington).
ESL Teacher Certification
The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) and its Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC) are in charge of teacher certification for Oregon educators. To earn an ESL or Bilingual educator endorsement, a teacher must already have a valid license.
Alternative Certification Options
The Educational Testing Service’s Oregon Alternate Route Web page summarizes the three options for would-be ESL teachers who want to pursue nontraditional certification:
- Restricted Transitional License (for career-changers with subject area expertise)
- Limited License (for areas of special expertise that do not have a license)
- Three-Year Professional Technical License (for technical programs only)
Master’s in ESL Programs
Concordia University offers a M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: ESOL and a Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL/TESOL). Portland State‘s Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages program is ideal for educators seeking diverse classroom experience, because Portland has one of the largest and most diverse populations in the state. University of Oregon offers a Master of Arts in Linguistics with a Language Teaching Specialization (LTS). An accelerated five-quarter program allows foreign language or ESL teachers to pursue an English Teaching ESL/EFL track. Western Oregon University offers a Master of Arts in Teaching: Initial Licensure. Students enrolled in the one-year campus program or the 18-month online program can opt to include an ESOL or bilingual endorsement with their MAT.